Monday, November 9, 2009

Cassandra's Cocoa


This is a delightful, quick, inexpensive treat on a cold day. It was a favorite for me to pull out of the cupboard after tiring, cold work like raking leaves and preparing the yard for winter, decorating, or finding a Christmas tree. It has the same flavor as old-fashioned hot cocoa but only takes minutes to prepare. Your children can even make it for themselves, if they are old enough to handle hot liquids.



Cassandra's Cocoa



Ingredients for each mug:
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar, honey, or equivalent sweetener
  • enough milk to fill the mug: dairy, soy, rice, and other milks work fine; I have even used powdered nonfat milk, mixed at a stronger concentration. No one complained.



Additions:

Around the holidays, I like to add a special twist to my recipe. I add one extra flavoring to the hot cocoa. My top choices are:

1. 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla flavoring, stirred in at the end. This simple addition gives the whole mix a creamy, richer aroma.

2. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, stirred in with the milk.

3. A pinch of nutmeg, either stirred with the milk or sprinkled on top.



Directions:

1. Put the cocoa powder and sweetener in the mug with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir to moisten throughout.

2. Heat this mixture for one minute in the microwave (or on the stove top in a small saucepan on low medium heat) until bubbly and dissolved. It should be allowed to boil for at least 15-30 seconds to combine the cocoa with the sweetener.

3. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly with a spoon. Add any additional cinnamon or nutmeg. Heat the milk mixture for one minute in the microwave (or on the stove-top until the right temperature for drinking). Do not boil the milk.

4. Add vanilla flavoring, if desired.


Serving Suggestions:

My kids loved to put marshmallows or whipped cream on top. Over the holidays, I sometimes added a cherry or fun sprinkles on top of the whipped cream.

If your kids are making this beverage, it's best to use plastic spoons, just in case they accidentally leave the spoon in the mug while heating the cocoa in the microwave.

I also found it very helpful to use a large mug because it didn't tip over as easily. I filled the mug 3/4 full, leaving room for marshmallows or cream on top and a margin for sloshing!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy! How have you been? I haven't had a lot of time to visit blogs these days. With writing, preparing to teach an online study, and of course home schooling and household duties - my days fly by so quickly and are packed with plenty to get accomplished! :) Anyway, wanted to let you know that I was so tickled last night when walking through Target I saw boxes of Madagascar Vanilla Tea on the shelf! I grabbed a box quickly and can't wait to try a cup. You can bet I'll be trying it today!

    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Karen

    P.S.
    Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments from my readers, since you are the ones I am writing for! Please feel free to leave one.