Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Meaningful Life



As a mother at home, with little affirmation from other adults, I struggled at times with low self-esteem. I wondered if I was doing anything with my life that mattered. There were days when I felt like life had passed me by. I was in the shadows, in the background, nearly invisible.

It's easy to feel this way when we serve our children all day long. Everything we are doing is for them. At the end of the day, we may not be able to see that we have accomplished very much. Other adults can't see it. And children don't have the maturity to appreciate or understand the sacrifice we make to be home with them and teach them. This can be very hard on us.

We are accustomed to measuring ourselves by what we do. I don't think this is all bad. Certainly, what people do shows who they are, what their character is like, what their values are. But this can become a problem when we find ourselves in a position without measurable accomplishments. How do we know we are living a meaningful and worthy life?

At Light for My Lamp today, I've shared a quote about this: A Meaningful Life. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments from my readers, since you are the ones I am writing for! Please feel free to leave one.