Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving Lessons


Instead of "Happy Turkey Day," the Jacobs Family likes to wish each other a "Happy Eel Day" or a "Happy Swan Day" or a "Happy Deer Day." It all started when A.J. Jacob's four-year-old asked him if the first Thanksgiving had a SpongeBob float in their parade. He suddenly realized how little he knew about the origins of our national holiday. He decided to do some research and recreate the first Thanksgiving in his home. For assistance in this endeavor, he "recruited" Richard Pickering who is the deputy director of the Massachusetts' Plimoth Plantation.

You can read the story of his experience via this link: Be A Pilgrim For A Day. You can even read it to your kids. It makes a fun history lesson.

Oh, and let me know if you try it. I've never eaten swan or eel before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments from my readers, since you are the ones I am writing for! Please feel free to leave one.