Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Passages for Reflection


Celtic Blessing

Deep peace of the running water to you,

Deep peace of the flowing air to you,

Deep peace of the quiet earth to you,

Deep peace of the shining stars to you,

Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you.

- source unknown

A Hermit's Desire

I wish, ancient and eternal King,
to live in a hidden hut in the wilderness.
A narrow blue stream beside it, and a clear pool
for washing away my sins by the grace of the Holy Spirit.
A beautiful wood all around,
where birds of every kind of voice can grow up and find shelter.
Facing southwards to catch the sun,
with fertile soil around it suitable for every kind of plant.
And virtuous young men to join me,
humble and eager to serve you . . .

A lovely church, with a white linen cloth over the altar,
a home for you from heaven.
A Bible surrounded by four candles, one for each of the gospels.
A special hut in which to gather for meals,
talking cheerfully as we eat, without sarcasm, without boasting, without any evil words.
Hens laying eggs for us to eat, leeks growing near the stream,
salmon and trout to catch, and bees providing honey.
Enough food and clothing given by you,
and enough time to sit and pray to you.

- attributed to St. Kevin, 6th century

Psalm 33

The earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.

- ESV

________________________________________________

I discovered the first two passages in 2000 Years of Prayer , compiled by Michael Counsell ( Morehouse Publishing 1999). I was charmed by their simplicity. Hundreds of years old, they retain their freshness and their power. May you be blessed today by the delights of the simple things that surround you -- the beauty of the earth, the faces of your loved ones, the joys of fellowship.

Please note: I did not receive any compensation or free merchandise in exchange for my written review or my opinion about this book.

1 comment:

  1. I am a hermit.

    Let it be, this solitary 'tude.

    jl

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments from my readers, since you are the ones I am writing for! Please feel free to leave one.